• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Peace Corps.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
Anyone here works/volunteers for them? I been thinking about joining sometime in the future. Anyone?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wanted to do it, but I wanted to get married more. We considered getting married and joining together but he doesn't have a degree.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i dont know anything about em, sounds interesting considering my pseudo pacifism

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I seriously, seriously considered it. But ultimately chose not to.

But who knows what the future will hold? Especially if I improve my Spanish.

file cabinet

if you're considering joining you should start the application process now because it can take awhile for it to all be processed (6-12 months or maybe more).

this blog post I found gives you an idea about the entire application process:
The Peace Corps Application Process - From Daydream to Staging

this is another post about the peace corps that appears relevant:
Common misconceptions of the Peace Corps

and.. lastly, the guy then quit the peace corps:
My reasons for leaving the Peace Corps

I have also personally started the application process but not entirely sure if it's right fo r me..

apparently Obama is looking to expand the Peace Corps too, so now would probably be a good time to start applying.

edit:
one other thing.. I was speaking with an adviser and he said volunteering for peace corps is not the same as it was 30 years ago as it is today. he gave the example of how people he had talked with who had returned from the peace corps in the past couple years didn't enjoy the experience as much because people were paranoid that the peace corps was some kind of spy/whatever agency.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm considering it pretty seriously, myself. Unfortunately I don't really have anything they want, so I'm going to try to get some teaching ESL experience under my belt and two years of French, two things which would still be pretty useful even if I decide against it/get rejected.

I hear they're very competitive right now, though.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
A good friend of mine spent two years in Ghana with the Peace Corps. She cherishes the experience.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm in the Marine Corps. That count?

Really, I've heard mixed reports about the Peace Corps though.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd do it in a heartbeat if I didn't have a dog who I can't leave. :)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Every time I end a relationship (I am not kidding), I think to myself, "Well NOW I can join the Peace Corps!" as if the relationship was the only thing holding me back.

I still think about it, though I'd have to consider giving up a secure income for volunteer work for 2-3 years. I'd love to go, though.

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I really wanted to as a teenager, but I never got my 4-yr degree and now I have a family, so it didn't work out that way. I never actually looked into the specifics, though.

I remember reading some horror stories about a few peoples' experiences with it a long time ago, but I can't remember any of the details. It could have been just some sensationalist kind of thing.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Same here! I wanted to join, but upon looking at the website and information- I think it's required (I'm not sure, maybe I read wrong) that each trip is about 2 years, which also means that volunteers won't be home for a whole 2 years..

That's what I read from the last time I visited their site.

I think it would be an awesome experience, but I have a mother who has a handicap that relies on me and I need to stick around to take care of the family.

If you can go and would like to, I think it would be awesome if you could go. Do more research. It's also required that you get a few vaccination shots that could take at least 6 months or so prior to the trip (Hep B. requires 2 rounds of shots with a few months of gap time between each shot).

Good Luck!

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've always dreamed about joining the Peace Corp - I admire the giving spirit so much.