User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Grades & getting hired?

An age-old question. How much do your college grades matter when applying for jobs?

Probably depends on the kind of job, right? Some jobs probably don't look at all, right? As long as you have the diploma...

I've heard different answers from different people in my life. Got any experiences to shed some light on this?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    An age-old question. How much do your college grades matter when applying for jobs?

Probably depends on the kind of job, right? Some jobs probably don't look at all, right? As long as you have the diploma...

I've heard different answers from different people in my life. Got any experiences to shed some light on this?
    It probably does depend highly on the particular position. But having seen the issues from both sides, I'd say the grades really only matter in terms of getting past the initial sifting process at the company level.

Once you've had your first real job, the experience supersedes whatever your academic record showed.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

+1

Grades, school and even your major only get you in the door for that first position. After that, it is all based on experience (with the exception that they do look for you just having a degree).

MBTI
    xxxx

I was involved with the screening process in a technical field and grades matter, however where you got your diploma didn't matter much. Generally, it would depend if the degree is directly applicable to the job and what kind of job we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    I was involved with the screening process in a technical field and grades matter, however where you got your diploma didn't matter much. Generally, it would depend if the degree is directly applicable to the job and what kind of job we are talking about.
    This is what I would have suspected.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

It depends on where you are as well - in Germany, for example, no one asks about your grades. On the other hand, if you don't have the exact paperwork on hand to prove everything you've ever done since birth, you're in deeeeep trouble....Soooo.....There are positives and negatives to everything.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    istp

I have never seen grades mentioned as part of the hiring process... the only way I could see it being applicable would be towards internships, or the performance notation on your diploma which, unlike grades, does go on your resume.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Here they matter as a minimum requirement (the maximum grade for college graduation is 110, if your grade is lower than 100 then you're less likely to find a good job), however past the minimum they do not matter at all - the type of degree matters much more.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

I think this is basically the same as asking "Does it matter what you major in?" The jobs that care probably care about your grades, too...at least initially.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTP

Grades matter much more if you want to go to graduate school, and even then I've seen people who had sub-par college GPA's get into schools due to their career experience.
    Extroverted (E) 80%
    Intuitive (N) 90%
    Thinking (T) 84.38%
    Perceiving (P) 81.82%

8w7

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."
    -Thomas Jefferson

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful and committed citizens can change the world... because its the only thing that ever has."
    -Marget Mead

"I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
    -Thomas Paine