User Tag List

First 12

I really want to be a general inventor without the confines of corporations or academia.

I think dealing with fundamental forces with an engineer's eye is the closest I can get to being a Tesla-like inventor.

So I am looking into Ph. D. programs in High Energy Physics (both theory and experiment).

It actually seems to have the array of interests I like, minus the life and social scieces and finance.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

Market Research - you get to research all the topics you enjoy and apply your maths and people skills

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Market Research - you get to research all the topics you enjoy and apply your maths and people skills
    First, I don't really have people skills.

But as far as my interests go...

Really? That's hardly the impression I get.

When I say "Math" I generally mean the conceptual version, not the computational version. Though proficiency at one is needed for the other, the use of computers has made computational math a button pushing process.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

its awesome to want to invent crazy stuff. But Tesla was a once in a millennia mind.

This is the way it works: an intuitive genius has crazy revolutionary ideas, and then then next many generations spends their days being unintuituitve trying to fully explore those ideas. Thats where we are now. There just isnt "room" to go make intuitive inventions, because we are still getting plenty technical with what we've got. Thats why you feel boxed into being only systematic in those fields you have interest in.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Make sure to incorporate some right-brain action into whatever you do so there is some balance there. Left-brain-only work is either being outsourced to India, or to computers one or the other: Amazon.com: A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future: Daniel H. Pink: Books The trick is to incorporate some right-brain into the left-brain work to stay in demand...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM