User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infp

Default Too much to do...

Hi all

Just wondered how others cope with this - I'm just really overworked at the moment - working really long hours (mainly due to covering for sickness and major projects coming to an end in the next few weeks)

I feel like I've just 'run out of steam' literally - everything at the moment at work feel like a big deal and I suppose I'm just very resentful.

I work with a good team who all pull their weight - its just soo hard at the moment - it will get a bit better in the new year but I just wondered if anybody else was experiencing the same at present and how you keep going!?
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ISXJ

I'm a huge procrastinator so the ends of the semesters are always horrible -- especially when there's a job and other responsibilitlies on top of school work.

Something I've discovered over the years is that if I am not fully rested or not feeling good (i.e. hungry, bored, lonely, etc.) is that I should fix whatever problem I'm having before I even try to undertake my work, because it will nag me and cause me to be resentful if I don't get it out of my system.

In essence, I play a little before I work. For example, I had a lot of work to do today, but I knew I was completely exhausted. I came home from school today, told myself that the work WILL get done, but I will do it when I feel better. I pushed the thought of work out of my mind, took a 3-hour nap, woke up feeling completely refreshed, and then sat down at the computer and spent 3 hours tackling my assignment which is now finished. If I hadn't napped, it likely would have taken me twice the time and effort to finish the project...and to top it off, I would have been even more tired and annoyed. I see the goofing off / napping time as an investment to my overall well-being, because once I'm content and have all the other little worries out of my mind, I can focus on the issue at hand

Good luck!

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post

I pushed the thought of work out of my mind, took a 3-hour nap, woke up feeling completely refreshed, and then sat down at the computer and spent 3 hours tackling my assignment which is now finished. If I hadn't napped, it likely would have taken me twice the time and effort to finish the project...and to top it off, I would have been even more tired and annoyed. I see the goofing off / napping time as an investment to my overall well-being, because once I'm content and have all the other little worries out of my mind, I can focus on the issue at hand

Good luck!
    Thanks Recoleta

Thats my plan for this weekend - ive probably got about 6 hrs to do (on top of a very long week already) - intend to do it in 1 hr chunks and get plenty sleep inbetween and do nothing else - only 2 1/2 weeks left until hols so hope I can hold on until then - another member of staff went off sick this week - its only my over developed protestant work ethic that stops me from doing the same!
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, honestly, I just go for drugs when there is really the need for it. Modafinil now mostly, so that I can stand up all night without being tired the day after. I know it's not nice, but it happens only 1 week a year.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

That which is urgent is rarely important, and that which is important is rarely urgent.

When I'm overloaded I try to gain perspective. What things am I blowing out of proportion? Can I drop anything from my schedule or reduce the amount of time I'm giving it?

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, honestly, I just go for drugs when there is really the need for it. Modafinil now mostly, so that I can stand up all night without being tired the day after. I know it's not nice, but it happens only 1 week a year.
    I used to be able to do this (not anything like Modefinil but a mild stimulant like pro plus) but now I know that this would just make me ill so I have to look at conserving energy more - I think feeling this much resentment about it is also draining of energy :steam:
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    That which is urgent is rarely important, and that which is important is rarely urgent.

When I'm overloaded I try to gain perspective. What things am I blowing out of proportion? Can I drop anything from my schedule or reduce the amount of time I'm giving it?
    Good advice - I know I lost this perspective a while ago and I'm just too knackered to think straight anymore - I cant drop anything but i know I need to get a grip on worrying too much about it all

I'm going to try and do some long walks with the dog this wekend to think and get a bit of perspective back - part of the problem is that I'm sorrounded by people and noise all week or driving from one problem to another - i need time alone to think
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I experience this a lot.
    Right now i'm nearing the end of a semester and have lots of tests and paperwork, projects and also I have to go to work.
    I'm not sure if this would work for you, but when things get very busy for me, I set aside time to do whatever it is that's going to make me feel better. (Going for a jog, having a cup of coffee, stretching my back, taking a nap or shower)
    I have this thing I call "power hour." So when I only have an hour between things I start a pot of coffee, take a shower and get really clean, stretch my back, and lay down for the remaining minutes. ( I try for 20 mins- half hour.) When I wake I drink the coffee and get dressed and voila! My additude is completely changed.
    I would recommend power hour for anyone in that situation. (You would just have to do whatever comforts make YOU personally feel better.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Have you considered giving up completely?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm starting to feel the pressure of the end of the semester. In the next week, I have 1 final, 1 regular test, 2 presentations, 1 speech, and 1 15-page paper due. I just pace myself, tackling whatever is more important at the time. If I don't do this, I can get overwhelmed, looking at the enormous pile of work I have to do.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."