User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Your College - Love It or ???

My daughter is a sophomore in high school. She's in the International Baccalaureate program and also takes Latin. I'd place her at a college sophomore or higher reading and reasoning level - she reads Atlantic Monthly, New Yorker, Esquire, etc.

For some reason she's decided U of Chicago is the place she wants to go to college. This is fine with me if she gets in, but she's concerned her preferred school is such a prestigious one. Last night we got out the college guide and read through a lot of it, and the only others that stood out for her were Ivy League or Ivy League wannabes like Stanford and Tufts.

This worries her because she doesn't see herself as highly academic and doesn't think she has the grades (mix of As and Bs) and/or test scores (she just took the PSAT so we don't have scores yet) to get into such places. Yet the curricula that interest her are: linguistics, economics, anthropology, neuroscience.

So I'm wondering about your alma mater - did you love it? A good match? Other comments?
    Would love to hear from anyone who went to UChicago.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I went to Univ. of Colorado at Boulder, it was lovely but I was not in the right place in my life and consequently dropped out.

I also attended Santa Monica City College for two awesome years and loved everything about it.

I am currently attending Cal. State Northridge and it is the worst academic institution I have ever had the misfortune to witness/partake in. In other words, I hate my current college with a vengeance.

Finding an academic environment that suits your needs is incredibly important, I think.

I would definitely recommend *really* looking into colleges and researching the potential pros and cons.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I was accepted to University of Chicago, but had so many alumni tell me that it was the most soul drainingly miserable place they'd ever been that I decided against going.

After giving in to my mother's demands that I attend something within reach, I chose the school that bribed me most heavily- Purdue- and went there.

I liked it a lot. I love the college atmosphere, the international student population (and the restraunts that catered to them) and the large population of science students (I hang out with them!). The professors were almost all quite competent, and some were absolutley awesome. Faculty and staff were friendly and approachable (with a few minor exceptions) and the campus was always spotlessly clean. The weather, it being in Indiana, was the only real problem.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ

Thanks, Whatever. Talking to Chicago alums is a great idea.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I go to a community college at the moment, San Jacinto, but I plan on transferring to the University of Houston, Clear Lake campus.

I Really like my low-budget hole in the ground college. There's nothing to do on campus, so we all get to know each other really well. There's this table we all sit at, and we can have 30 - 40 people at this table at any given time, and the conversations are just hilarious.

Not to mention anytime I walk up, I get pseudo-worshipped and like 20 billion hugs

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

How large or small is the current town you are living in, and also what is the size of your daughter's graduating class?
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ

100,000 total population

800-1000 graduating class

She seems to favor a large university with many class/course possibilities. but a smaller school with strong depts. (mentioned above) would probably be fine, too.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    100,000 total population

800-1000 graduating class

She seems to favor a large university with many class/course possibilities. but a smaller school with strong depts. (mentioned above) would probably be fine, too.
    Hmm, I was born and raised in L.A. but my graduating high school class was made up of something like 106 students, I believe. And for both primary and secondary school I was private schooled and therefore used to smaller classrooms and more teacher-student interaction.

Going to Boulder was a HUGE shock to my academic/social system.

I became a number for the first time in my life, and that was devastating. At the time, I was too young and undisciplined to prosper in the massive bureaucracy by myself.

If your daughter is a disciplined student she might do more than fine at the Uni. of Chicago.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    yupp

I don't go to University of Chicago, but I do go to school in Chicago and I love it up here. If for some reason I decided to transfer I'd tried to transfer to another school in Chicago. But I like my school, I go to Columbia College Chicago. The only thing that sucks is the winter up here. then again I didn't really like my school until I found a major I really liked, so their's that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I am very knowledgeable on about 1/2 of the Canadian universities, but I assume she's going to stay in the USA because it's always financially smarter to go to school in your own country.

My generalized observations would be this:
    Bigger does not always mean better. I am at an almost exclusively undergrad university of roughly 10 000 students; it means that I get way more access to profs and equipment than what my friends do at the other major alternative that is population-wise large enough to be a city.
    We had lab instructors teach at both and they said it was clear that the huge university focusses on their PhD students and not their undergrads. (We have probably $300 000 worth of chem/physics equipment that the larger school doesn't let their undergrads have access to, and they had video lectures for intro courses instead of a real prof.) We have highly polished profs at our school and I am very impressed with my education.

My school is also far more advanced in a few programs that the bigger school isn't. I'm sure they have a wider selection but that does not always mean they have what any one individual needs. My smaller school of 10 000 people has my amazing major and I am so very thankful I chose to go there instead of the bigger one which definitely doesn't have my major.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis