• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Some help with post highschool choices

ArchitectofFate

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi there, I will be graduating from high school next June, and I'm planning to go to a 4 year college. However, as we all know with the economy and cost of education, money is 'kinda' a big issue. Some Navy recruiter guy said that I can apply for their NROTC scholarship thingy and they pay 100% for you to go to a 4 year college. Then you have to serve in the Navy for 4 to 6 years, but I want to pursue a Ph.D in science right after undergraduate and with Navy training that is not possible.

Soooooo what now? Can I take the offer and sacrifice precious years to get a higher degree, or go through college with loans and all that burden? HALP!!! :cry:

Or is there some science Ph.D program in the navy that i can pursue??

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi there, I will be graduating from high school next June, and I'm planning to go to a 4 year college. However, as we all know with the economy and cost of education, money is 'kinda' a big issue. Some Navy recruiter guy said that I can apply for their NROTC scholarship thingy and they pay 100% for you to go to a 4 year college. Then you have to serve in the Navy for 4 to 6 years, but I want to pursue a Ph.D in science right after undergraduate and with Navy training that is not possible.

Soooooo what now? Can I take the offer and sacrifice precious years to get a higher degree, or go through college with loans and all that burden? HALP!!! :cry:

• I'd check how far you could go educationally in every branch of the military. There's a definite need for science PhDs so...
  • Check out your local junior colleges to get some of the basics out of the way at a discount. In our area, one of them is outstanding--our neighbor just finished her nursing degree, for example, and said her best science courses were at the community college, not the University of Minnesota where she finished the degree...
  • There are grants and scholarships galore for people really interested in science. My husband for example got his whole masters funded by agreeing to do his thesis on the effectiveness of scuba equipment changes for the Navy...
  • If your high school counselors aren't very helpful, they should at least be able to direct you to some place in town that can help. Some admissions counselors at 4-year colleges could even guide you in all of this. If you were trying for an English major you wouldn't be a rare ticket, but if you've got high school info showing interest/ability in science, try to leverage it!!

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?

LOANS AND BURDEN.

I say this because I took a full scholarship in exchange for teaching for four years. I don't regret it, but I wouldn't recommend it highly. It ties you down and limits your experiences. The economy is scary, but a lot of folks will be in the same boat with you. Go to a state school for undergrad and get funding for PhD. Also, see what other kinds of funding you can get for undergrad; there are scholarships everywhere. And fill out your FAFSA!!!

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Do not go into the military unless you want to be in it. Once you're in, it's extremely difficult to get back out. There's no free lunch. :devil:

That said though, being in the military will make it easier for you to get into medicine if that's something you want to do. Of course, you'll also be stuck with service duty for years on end if you take that route.

Chukamok

MBTI Type
IXFP
I spent four years in the US Navy right out of high school. Don't do it.

Just my 2 cents.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I spent four years in the US Navy right out of high school. Don't do it.

Just my 2 cents.
Were you the guy I saw on the aircraft carrier documentary who got stuck cleaning bathrooms the whole time? Oh wait, he enlisted for five years.