User Tag List

Default Some help with post highschool choices

Hi there, I will be graduating from high school next June, and I'm planning to go to a 4 year college. However, as we all know with the economy and cost of education, money is 'kinda' a big issue. Some Navy recruiter guy said that I can apply for their NROTC scholarship thingy and they pay 100% for you to go to a 4 year college. Then you have to serve in the Navy for 4 to 6 years, but I want to pursue a Ph.D in science right after undergraduate and with Navy training that is not possible.

Soooooo what now? Can I take the offer and sacrifice precious years to get a higher degree, or go through college with loans and all that burden? HALP!!!

Or is there some science Ph.D program in the navy that i can pursue??

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ArchitectofFate View Post
    Hi there, I will be graduating from high school next June, and I'm planning to go to a 4 year college. However, as we all know with the economy and cost of education, money is 'kinda' a big issue. Some Navy recruiter guy said that I can apply for their NROTC scholarship thingy and they pay 100% for you to go to a 4 year college. Then you have to serve in the Navy for 4 to 6 years, but I want to pursue a Ph.D in science right after undergraduate and with Navy training that is not possible.

Soooooo what now? Can I take the offer and sacrifice precious years to get a higher degree, or go through college with loans and all that burden? HALP!!!

• I'd check how far you could go educationally in every branch of the military. There's a definite need for science PhDs so...
    • Check out your local junior colleges to get some of the basics out of the way at a discount. In our area, one of them is outstanding--our neighbor just finished her nursing degree, for example, and said her best science courses were at the community college, not the University of Minnesota where she finished the degree...
    • There are grants and scholarships galore for people really interested in science. My husband for example got his whole masters funded by agreeing to do his thesis on the effectiveness of scuba equipment changes for the Navy...
    • If your high school counselors aren't very helpful, they should at least be able to direct you to some place in town that can help. Some admissions counselors at 4-year colleges could even guide you in all of this. If you were trying for an English major you wouldn't be a rare ticket, but if you've got high school info showing interest/ability in science, try to leverage it!!
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENTP

Navy sounds like hell for ENTP. A job you cannot quit.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

LOANS AND BURDEN.

I say this because I took a full scholarship in exchange for teaching for four years. I don't regret it, but I wouldn't recommend it highly. It ties you down and limits your experiences. The economy is scary, but a lot of folks will be in the same boat with you. Go to a state school for undergrad and get funding for PhD. Also, see what other kinds of funding you can get for undergrad; there are scholarships everywhere. And fill out your FAFSA!!!
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Do not go into the military unless you want to be in it. Once you're in, it's extremely difficult to get back out. There's no free lunch.

That said though, being in the military will make it easier for you to get into medicine if that's something you want to do. Of course, you'll also be stuck with service duty for years on end if you take that route.

MBTI
    IXFP

I spent four years in the US Navy right out of high school. Don't do it.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Chukamok View Post
    I spent four years in the US Navy right out of high school. Don't do it.

Just my 2 cents.
    Were you the guy I saw on the aircraft carrier documentary who got stuck cleaning bathrooms the whole time? Oh wait, he enlisted for five years.