User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default English Paper on Myers Briggs

    So, for my English class, we have to write a 7-9 page double spaced research paper. At first, I was a little intimidated, but then I started thinking of topics and realized that with all the research I could do, that's really not that much! I was thinking about doing a paper on the Myers-Briggs. The problem is finding the right angle to do it from.

    At first, I was thinking about the influence of it on organizations, but too big? My teacher thought so. Then I thought, a breakdown of the preferences, but still way too big, I think. Someone else suggested focusing on one type. I could do mine, but then I was told again, that I was heading for a 30 page paper. At that point, I was like, ARGH! I met up with an ENFP MBTI certified person at my college, and she kept giving me reasons why I couldn't do a research paper on it.

    I know it's hard, but with it being my latest interest, and the fact that I want to dive head first into it right now, can't I come back out with a research paper on it?

    I was looking at a breakdown of the ISTJ. With 7-9 pages, though, that sounds hard. You could visit every aspect of their life, ranging from family, romance, careers, hobbies, mannerisms, etc. You'd still have the preferences, their impact on the person, each cognitive function, and their relationship. Yeah, that's a lot. I just thought I could generalize it somewhat to smush it into 7-9 pages.

    Am I in over my head or is this doable?

  2. #2
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    So, for my English class, we have to write a 7-9 page double spaced research paper. At first, I was a little intimidated, but then I started thinking of topics and realized that with all the research I could do, that's really not that much! I was thinking about doing a paper on the Myers-Briggs. The problem is finding the right angle to do it from.

    At first, I was thinking about the influence of it on organizations, but too big? My teacher thought so. Then I thought, a breakdown of the preferences, but still way too big, I think. Someone else suggested focusing on one type. I could do mine, but then I was told again, that I was heading for a 30 page paper. At that point, I was like, ARGH! I met up with an ENFP MBTI certified person at my college, and she kept giving me reasons why I couldn't do a research paper on it.

    I know it's hard, but with it being my latest interest, and the fact that I want to dive head first into it right now, can't I come back out with a research paper on it?

    I was looking at a breakdown of the ISTJ. With 7-9 pages, though, that sounds hard. You could visit every aspect of their life, ranging from family, romance, careers, hobbies, mannerisms, etc. You'd still have the preferences, their impact on the person, each cognitive function, and their relationship. Yeah, that's a lot. I just thought I could generalize it somewhat to smush it into 7-9 pages.

    Am I in over my head or is this doable?
    Take one aspect. what are you most interested in? ISTJs and study habits? Dating? Exercise? Coping with stress? The latter would be really good as it's specific yet there's lots of stuff. Then get out there and read. Does the library have many MBTI books by Quenk, Hirsh, Nardi, Pearman, Behrens, Kise, Wyman--those are some of the main ones on stress. Maybe the practitioner can lend a few things to you... CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. has a bibliography of 10,000 entries--often you can easily find papers there and then find the oringinals on ERIC or another data base. 5 good sources and you've got a 7-9 page paper.
    edcoaching

  3. #3
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    I'm mostly interested in the thinking patterns of each one. I was leaning toward the cognitive processes of ISTJ, or the relationship of the psychological preferences. I didn't really want to get into real world applications of the type. I just wanted to explain how they think.

  4. #4
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Sorry for the delay. One way to do it on the processes is look at a model on thinking or cognitive processes, even John Dewey's How We Think which is pretty short and compare it to Jung's Psychological Types discussion of Introverted Sensing. What is assumed as universal that is really about a few types. For example Dewey completely leaves out the Feeling function in his model of great problem-solving. How does ISTJ reasoning differ from the "norm" and what strengths does that provide to problem solving or decision making?

    I think Dewey was an INTP and therefore wasn't aware of the value of the Feeling function. Isabel Myers, INFP, was home-schooled by a mother who employed Dewey's theories on education. Myers, when she created a problem solving model, basically added the Feeling function to Dewey's model an din essence corrected Dewey's natural blind spot. It shouldn't be hard to find a cognitive model that ignores the importance of the Sensing function or highlights its value and write a paper on it.

    Jung is available free online.
    edcoaching

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Why not approach it as a world wide cult with Jung as its fascist guru and Mrs Briggs and her daughter, Mrs Myers, as his disciples.

    You could then ask, who are attracted to cults, and why are they attracted to cults.

    You then might locate MBTI within the New Age religion.

    And you might locate the New Age within the culture of narcissism.

    But most of all you might point out that MBTI is not a valid personality test. And the way it is administered is completely invalid.

    And finally you might interview those who have found their way out of MBTI.
    I agree sort of. If you want to write a research paper on yourself, write it on yourself; not a third party view on what your behaviours should be. You can't say an ISFJ does this or that. They are sets of common traits.

    eg. If you sampled 1000 people and 300 played poker it would obviously be a more common trait among the thousand. If you took a random person from that thousand though they would only have 33% chance of being a poker player.

    The second thing to consider is these lines called EI SN TF JP are continuums. A person can be ISTJ and 5% T or 100% T.

    The third thing to consider is a lot of this socionics pushes the bounds of what you can call science, and myers-briggs is essentially a tool used for finding areas of working comfort in jobs. eg. a few ENFPs might be professional students, others might be receptionists, some might even be terrorists. What does an ISTJ do daily? It depends on the ISTJ. If that ISTJ is you, write the project about you and make it a psychological study of yourself. A third party description and interpretation of yourself just leaves the reader cold. Though I suppose research papers need written references rather than reality as a reference. Which is a pity because reality is a little more solid.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  6. #6
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I agree sort of. If you want to write a research paper on yourself, write it on yourself; not a third party view on what your behaviours should be. You can't say an ISFJ does this or that. They are sets of common traits.

    eg. If you sampled 1000 people and 300 played poker it would obviously be a more common trait among the thousand. If you took a random person from that thousand though they would only have 33% chance of being a poker player.

    The second thing to consider is these lines called EI SN TF JP are continuums. A person can be ISTJ and 5% T or 100% T.

    The third thing to consider is a lot of this socionics pushes the bounds of what you can call science, and myers-briggs is essentially a tool used for finding areas of working comfort in jobs. eg. a few ENFPs might be professional students, others might be receptionists, some might even be terrorists. What does an ISTJ do daily? It depends on the ISTJ. If that ISTJ is you, write the project about you and make it a psychological study of yourself. A third party description and interpretation of yourself just leaves the reader cold. Though I suppose research papers need written references rather than reality as a reference. Which is a pity because reality is a little more solid.
    I wasn't talking about a third party view, but a comparison of two views.

    In Jungian theory the lines aren't continuums. Behaviors are on continuums but the preferences are innate.

    You can do action research, but not in a 7-9 page paper with a deadline. I was trying to provide hints for a doable topic within those parameters. It'd be excellent to interview other ISTJs to find out how they do something but the rigor needed to correctly find people who prefer ISTJ would probably be beyond the scope of an English paper.

    And, type theory's main purpose is to describe differences in how people take in information and make decisions. While patterns are clear in how preferences influence career decisions, this is only one of many robust applications. And the applications have nothing to do with any of the tools, like MBTI, that help people identify their types. Helping people figure out their best-fit type is just the first step...
    edcoaching

  7. #7
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    I'm just going to take the easy way out since there's a deadline, and outline the 8 psychological preferences. That should be very doable. Just have a description with a few examples for each one. My problem is I'm continuously learning more about the MBTI, so I hate being restrained to the confines of this paper. One day, I might be fascinated by learning the difference between Sensors and intuitives, then the next I'm looking at books on how the MBTI affects workplaces, and then another day, I'm trying to find resources on how the cognitive functions manifest in children. I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a psychology class. Haha.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    I'm just going to take the easy way out since there's a deadline, and outline the 8 psychological preferences. That should be very doable. Just have a description with a few examples for each one. My problem is I'm continuously learning more about the MBTI, so I hate being restrained to the confines of this paper. One day, I might be fascinated by learning the difference between Sensors and intuitives, then the next I'm looking at books on how the MBTI affects workplaces, and then another day, I'm trying to find resources on how the cognitive functions manifest in children. I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a psychology class. Haha.

    Yeah, for the sake of the paper, you need to limit yourself. Is this an argumentative or informative paper?
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #9
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    I'm just going to take the easy way out since there's a deadline, and outline the 8 psychological preferences. That should be very doable. Just have a description with a few examples for each one. My problem is I'm continuously learning more about the MBTI, so I hate being restrained to the confines of this paper. One day, I might be fascinated by learning the difference between Sensors and intuitives, then the next I'm looking at books on how the MBTI affects workplaces, and then another day, I'm trying to find resources on how the cognitive functions manifest in children. I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a psychology class. Haha.
    Good idea You could get so many ideas from us'all that you could end up as a researcher proper on teh topic.
    edcoaching

  10. #10
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Yeah, for the sake of the paper, you need to limit yourself. Is this an argumentative or informative paper?
    Informative. It requires an Annotated Bibliography with 15 sources, and a works cited with 7. I have like 5 books on my bed that could probably write the paper. Is the teacher asking for too much or am I picking a topic that's too easy?

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] A Myers-Briggs questionnaire I posted on my Tumblr that I am now sharing with you!
    By OneLovelyAdventure in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-15-2016, 07:59 AM
  2. [MBTItm] What You Should Binge Watch On Netflix According to Your Myers Briggs (MBTI) Type
    By CarolineForbes in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
  3. Hogwart's Sorting Hat based on Myers-Briggs
    By LadyMary in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 02:42 PM
  4. Thoughts on Myers-Briggs
    By ygolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 04:49 PM
  5. Knowing Me, Knowing God: Exploring Your Spirituality with Myers-Briggs
    By Usehername in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO