• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Human Resources,What's it like?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm still unsure of what I want to do, and not "knowing" this makes me seriously nervous.(I'm usually nervous about things being undecided :D)
I have a huge interest in psychology and this would be a great way for me to implement the economics and sociology classes I currently taking.
I wanted to know if anyone was a human resources manager and could tell me a bit about that job.

What's your typical day like?
What do you like best about your job?
What do you like the least about it?

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
Do you think it s a good job for introverts?? it must be exhausting to work only with problems of people !:D

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
Btw: why do you not consider strategic planning? i think INts can be great planners!

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Btw: why do you not consider strategic planning? i think INts can be great planners!

I'm in the same boat as Dwigie.
I've been considering HR but the human aspect sort of freaks me out sometimes. I think I'd do well in the whole - managing resources, hiring people, aspects though.

I read some about strategic planning and it seems to fit me a little better, thanks for that Lexlike.

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hopefully I can provide you with some insight on the HR profession based on my experience. :)

What's your typical day like?
For someone who is just starting out in HR, a typical day may include:
- Administrative work (company HR related paperwork, collecting and submitting vacation requests, updating employee information, filing).
- Preparing job offer letters.
- Recruiting (screening resumes, telephone interviews, in-person interviews).
- Working with line management on various items (employee issues, health and safety, training).
- Assisting with terminations.
- Answering employee inquiries (for example they may have questions regarding their benefits, have an issue with their manager).
- Payroll submission.
- Managing workplace accident claims.

What do you like best about your job?
I enjoy the fact that the result of my work ensures that the employees are happy and treated well. I also enjoy working with the management team.

What do you like the least about it?
I don't care for recruiting that much. Very time consuming and draining (mentally and physically). It's a good thing we have a recruitment team now that does all of our recruiting. :)

ENFJ_Catholic

MBTI Type
ENFJ
There's nothing like resurrecting old threads. :woot:

What type would be better to take care of the recruiting side of things? Would it be that you're by default more introverted? Or is it just that its incredibly time consuming?

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
There's nothing like resurrecting old threads. :woot:

What type would be better to take care of the recruiting side of things? Would it be that you're by default more introverted? Or is it just that its incredibly time consuming?

I think in my case, being an introvert does play a part in not being so enthusiastic about recruiting. It is not so much the actual interview that I don't like but rather having to meet so many people and interact with them! When I first started conducting interviews, I would get a sick feeling before every interview. :D Not sure which type would be most suited for recruiting, but I would think ENFJs, perhaps. ;)

illume

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
ENFP here.... In HR for 9 years now with large corporation. What I hated was the pencil pushing for all of the STUFF you do in HR..... I was in charge of Worker's Comp, FMLA, vacation, time & attendance,employee events, affirmative action, record keeping, recruitment and hiring.... All of the detail shit for 400+ ee's + multiple locations. ENFP's are not detail people. And I did not get a Masters in HR so that I could push a pencil...... (However, it was a valuable learning experience). Also as an ENFP, my talents lie in the associate relations and recruiting areas.

I have been a Corporate Recruiter for 5 years now and I love it. I am excellent at spotting possibilities and putting the right person into the right job. It is not a good job for an introvert. Heavy people interaction, lots of phone and face to face interaction. I will even call in to other companies and canvas leads. You need to have the gift of gab and actually become energized by all of the multiple people interactions going on. I have had years at my company where I have filled over 100 positions by myself..... Engineers, Customer Service, Mid to Upper Level Managers, Operations Managers, Sales Reps, etc... A little slow at the moment, but now I am doing work for other divisions.:cheese:

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I never worked HR directly. But did the finance side.

There are many different departments:

-Benefits & Compensation
-Recruiting
-Employee Complaints/Litigation
-HRMS

HR comes in many different flavors for all types.

Last edited: