• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Effective (and respectable) shortcuts to help fellow students do their work easier

Usehername

On a mission
Anyone got any tips?

I just this past week learned about KnightCite. It is a magical program that lets you plug in the information to cite, you click what style of citation you want, and you click what category the source is, and volia! Insta-cited sources.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Are we talking about free stuff only?

This one's not free:

I use EndNote for citations because it lets you choose what style you need, formats the entry according to that style, and then opens with Microsoft Word so that you can just insert the citations that you need into a paper when you're writing it. You can also add notes or summaries to each citation so that you know, in the future, what the article in your citation library (it lets you have different libraries) was about and why it was important. It has been incredibly useful for me.

It's expensive on its own, but I got a copy for $5 at my university. I think many schools have software deals and discounts for students.

This one is free:

Free Mind
. It's "mind-mapping" software, and it helps those who are more visually inclined to organize their ideas in a spatial way. It's the only way I can write papers, since outlining in the traditional way doesn't really work for me. I used to do map-like things on paper, but this is so much better because you can do it quickly and you don't run out of space.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Anyone got any tips?

I just this past week learned about KnightCite. It is a magical program that lets you plug in the information to cite, you click what style of citation you want, and you click what category the source is, and volia! Insta-cited sources.

OMG, that's great! Thanks so much.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I use Refworks for storing my references and managing/formating citations.

For storing information, there's Evernote. I haven't had the time to test drive it yet. But one of the key feature is text recognition from images. So you can snap a picture of say a business card and search for the information.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^^Yeah, and I think you can get mobile versions of that too for PDA's and phones.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Anyone got any tips?

Thank you. :)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To write a HUGE term paper in three days, my process is:

(1) Outline
(2) Research, References, Quotes citations (Fill in the outline, a quick forward pass, a little in each section) USE THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER:

Questia Online Library

Pay for a one month trial membership. You have access to 6 HUGE libraries, can search on entire books, journals, magazines, newspapers, dissertations, etc. Add them all to a "bookshelf" and then search through each, your quotes and citations are created automatically in MLA or APA format, and your works citted page is created in MS Word format automatically too. This is a HUGE time saver.

(3) Focus on the creative verst that ties it all together.

One day for each of the above... :happy: