User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Just to add, I think that many people (including myself to some degree, though I read most of those cynical "grad school survivor" books before I arrived my first year) really think that grad school is just an extension of undergrad. Would that it were so!

Instead, you get thrust into a &*$%ed up political mess wherein personal and intellectual autonomy is nonexistent.

It makes you hate yourself, your subject, and all the people around you (including the cat). &*ck it. It's forced me to use the multi-emoticon lineup. :steam:
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Just to add, I think that many people (including myself to some degree, though I read most of those cynical "grad school survivor" books before I arrived my first year) really think that grad school is just an extension of undergrad. Would that it were so!

Instead, you get thrust into a &*$%ed up political mess wherein personal and intellectual autonomy is nonexistent.

It makes you hate yourself, your subject, and all the people around you (including the cat). &*ck it. It's forced me to use the multi-emoticon lineup. :steam:
    Orangey, you should write make a thread about your pre-grad school experiences and expectations and then your current experiences. I want to hear. Extensive Ti use, plz.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I imagine a lot of people go into academia because they like the prestige associated with it- wow, that person has a PHD- he must be really really smart and I must be inferior to his smartness!!

The worse bit about this politics stuff is that it totally eats away at your confidence. One moment you're angry and cynical about the whole thing, and the next you're thinking "well, maybe I'm not that smart. Maybe I really am a fuck up and a disgrace to the name of academia."

I am sure you are not a disgrace. You seem like a very intelligent young woman.
    As long as you don't become your assistant professor once you get your PHD, lol.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Orangey, you should write make a thread about your pre-grad school experiences and expectations and then your current experiences. I want to hear. Extensive Ti use, plz.
    That's a good idea, actually. This will give me good practice for when I give the new cohort my piece of advice during their departmental orientation next year . I will do it tomorrow, though, because right now I have to figure out what I'm going to teach the undergrads in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I imagine a lot of people go into academia because they like the prestige associated with it- wow, that person has a PHD- he must be really really smart and I must be inferior to his smartness!!
    You're absolutely right, though thankfully that's not my own motivation. Probably why most of the bullshit is motivated by the inflated egos of the faculty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post

I am sure you are not a disgrace. You seem like a very intelligent young woman.
    As long as you don't become your assistant professor once you get your PHD, lol.
    Heh, thanks . And I hope I don't become her either, since she's got quite a mug on her, hehe. Seriously though, I am starting to wonder if the reason that they are all assholes (and they're not all, but most of the ones I work with are) is because the nice ones were spit out of the machine before they finished, probably for the same reasons I'm complaining about here.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness