• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Other teachers - national boards?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
There are a few other teachers on the boards... have any of you done your national boards? I'm about to start this process--the instruction booklet is massive! Any tips, commiserations, encouragements?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
There are a few other teachers on the boards... have any of you done your national boards? I'm about to start this process--the instruction booklet is massive! Any tips, commiserations, encouragements?

Total, total condolences. I'm actually an instructional coach and while I know in many circles getting that certification is important, I'd have as much trouble doing it as I would being a current AP high school student where my kids go and the "norm" is 6 am cramming sessions the month before the tests...I went for the doctorate instead. Found a great program. Learned stuff that improved my ability to lead others. Questioned my own beliefs. Developed a theory of action. Got credentials that matter to a wide range of people.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Total, total condolences. I'm actually an instructional coach and while I know in many circles getting that certification is important, I'd have as much trouble doing it as I would being a current AP high school student where my kids go and the "norm" is 6 am cramming sessions the month before the tests...I went for the doctorate instead. Found a great program. Learned stuff that improved my ability to lead others. Questioned my own beliefs. Developed a theory of action. Got credentials that matter to a wide range of people.

I'm going to do that later. Grad school is definitely on the docket, but I've always planned to do both. This just came up first. I think it's going to really positively impact my teaching, but I think that it's also going to make me an insane hermit.

What's your PhD?

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ

Question: What are national boards and who has to take it?

Maybe my program is different or something? I'm getting my Masters and teaching certification all in the same program. Or maybe I'm different because my specialization is ESOL...or maybe my state doesn't require it? I know I have to take a test (the GACE) for certification, but beyond that nothing unless I move across state lines.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm going to do that later. Grad school is definitely on the docket, but I've always planned to do both. This just came up first. I think it's going to really positively impact my teaching, but I think that it's also going to make me an insane hermit.

What's your PhD?

I did an ED.D in Educational Leadership. I think only one person has ever asked whether I have a PhD or an EDD and only one person has ever asked (in a way that it sounded like he was going to judge me on it) what school I attended. The difference? I didn't have to sit for comprehensive examinations, which I really felt would prove nothing in my case. I was also allowed to do research in my field of expertise (type) which a lot of programs won't allow.

The program is now called Leadership, Policy and Administration. Some attendees do finish their principal or superintendency licensure while getting the degree but not all. It was a cohort model--we did our 6 core theory classes together, which while I'm usually keen on independent learning was really great because for the weekend classes we actually all got to be friends and it made the whole thing more enjoyable.

The program had a strong critical theory component--analyzing who isn't being heard, etc. My dissertation chair is actually acting as my adviser again on another research project.

So..if the board certification means step/lane changes go for it. I just find it harder and harder to do anything that seems like jumping through meaningless hoops, but then I'd bet I'm quite a bit older and got enough hoop-jumping early on...

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Question: What are national boards and who has to take it?

Maybe my program is different or something? I'm getting my Masters and teaching certification all in the same program. Or maybe I'm different because my specialization is ESOL...or maybe my state doesn't require it? I know I have to take a test (the GACE) for certification, but beyond that nothing unless I move across state lines.

National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards

Better Teaching, Better Learning, Better Schools

The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards improves teaching and student learning. National Board Certified Teachers are highly accomplished educators who meet high and rigorous standards.

Like board-certified doctors and accountants, teachers who achieve National Board Certification have met rigorous standards through intensive study, expert evaluation, self-assessment and peer review. NBPTS offers 25 certificates that cover a variety of subject areas and student developmental levels.

National boards are not a certification to teach; they're a certification you get after you've been teaching. In my state, acquiring this certification gives you a significant pay increase.

You can do National Boards when you've been teaching for three years. I'm doing mine in Adolescent and Young Adulthood English Language Arts (I feel sure that there's an ESL certification as well). There's a portfolio component and some tests.

@edcoaching: That's pretty cool. Eventually I think that I may want to be in a position to teach or coach teachers, but that's awhile off. I've been considering a M.Ed in k-12 literacy. What have you been doing with your Ed.D?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards: National Board for Professional Teaching Standards

National boards are not a certification to teach; they're a certification you get after you've been teaching. In my state, acquiring this certification gives you a significant pay increase.

You can do National Boards when you've been teaching for three years. I'm doing mine in Adolescent and Young Adulthood English Language Arts (I feel sure that there's an ESL certification as well). There's a portfolio component and some tests.

@edcoaching: That's pretty cool. Eventually I think that I may want to be in a position to teach or coach teachers, but that's awhile off. I've been considering a M.Ed in k-12 literacy. What have you been doing with your Ed.D?

The EdD gave my research credibility, whether you or I believe in the "magic" of the three letters or not. I've worked with school districts and individual schools across the country, published, done Dept of Ed-sponsored workshops, been part of developing curricula for online courses, presented at conferences... My main interest now is how children go about making sense of math concepts and I don't think I'd have the research funding without the degrees. Maybe, but...