User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Ways to explain being an English Major???

In a rather typical NF fashion I majored in English because I like to read and write. An ST friend just made a sarcastic comment about the stupidity of English essays, saying "When you're done, what good is it?" He didn't buy my line about critical thinking or about providing insights into human nature that build leadership and even marketing skills...

Anyone else had success explaining "fluff" majors to STs???
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFP

I wouldn't deign to explain myself to someone like that.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Try explaining it to me sometime. Nevermind, bad idea.

MBTI
    INFP

Use metaphors, what does your friend like? Tell him that this is to you what "x" is to him, he should leave you alone soon enough.
    Things can be useful without producing "palpable" results, like a person having a mental break down and going in therapy, all you see a smile but there's so much more .
    There's gotta be someone making the darn books he's reading, the TV scripts for the shows he or she watches and what not!
    practical ways to use an english major:
    - imagine how much more effective someone who majored in english would be at writing a motivational speech for employees encouraging them to work better(he knows what words to use better, the person who majored just needs to get a little grasp of a few concepts here and there first)?
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    In a rather typical NF fashion I majored in English because I like to read and write. An ST friend just made a sarcastic comment about the stupidity of English essays, saying "When you're done, what good is it?" He didn't buy my line about critical thinking or about providing insights into human nature that build leadership and even marketing skills...

Well, I wouldn't buy that reason either, but I have no real problem with the choices people make - so long as they make them for themselves.

Least for myself, and I would think more for Ps than SJs, you can generally explain it as "I know it may not be as financially viable, but I love it and can't imagine doing anything else". They may not *understand*, but they tend to accept that.

SJs? Uhh... Good luck. I haven't had any luck with them either

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

You like English courses.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post

Don't know if you thought you were making up excuses, but your reasons sound partially convincing to me. But as fluff majors...I didn't even decide to go into History, and I love history! I decided to keep it as a hobby. (no offense at all)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

*shrugs* You really shouldn't have to justify the major you're taking because someone else lacks the ability to appreciate that you have a free choice in what you study.

However, I'm going to agree with the metaphoric approach...that often worked with my younger brother when he would interrupt something I was doing [mainly if I was working on writing a story and he would be doing something to distract me]. He would tell me that it wasn't important or worth anything-- and the way I'd put it was-- his drumming and music was important to him, and it may or may not get him somewhere in the future- that is what writing was to me. We seemed to reach an understanding there... So perhaps taking that approach would be helpful, in the very least.

Or else, to put it most simply, just tell your friend it is something which makes you happy and what you do with your life and make of your major after school will be in your own hands...you'll cross that bridge when you come to it.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Ah, reminding him that those TV scripts need to be written is a good one. And come to think of it he does have a few hobbies that serve no useful purpose

I do think "fluff" majors tend to be populated by N's, unless the S does it as a second major or a minor. College is just so danged expensive to waste it on something that may not pay off, like the odds of writing the greatest 21st century novel...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I wouldn't deign to explain myself to someone like that.
    Agreed. The attitude implies he doesn't value what you chose to do, so I wouldn't try to explain it. If he was actually curious, that would be different. It just seems like an indirect way of judging you.