User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    eNFp
    Enneagram

An English major is not fluff, it's a hard ass major. You have writing skills, thats huge. but you should tell them you are going to become a journalist with it and plan on running for VP someday...lol

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by hermeticdancer View Post
    An English major is not fluff, it's a hard ass major. You have writing skills, thats huge. but you should tell them you are going to become a journalist with it and plan on running for VP someday...lol
    It is fluff.
    Quality fluff is difficult to write and an art form in itself. If you're not a quality stylist no one will read your work.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    In a rather typical NF fashion I majored in English because I like to read and write. An ST friend just made a sarcastic comment about the stupidity of English essays, saying "When you're done, what good is it?" He didn't buy my line about critical thinking or about providing insights into human nature that build leadership and even marketing skills...

Anyone else had success explaining "fluff" majors to STs???
    As a Rhetoric (Bachelor of Arts, no direct application) major, I would say this:

Essays are really dumb. (In the sense that they have no direct real-world application.) Where are you ever going to write an essay again outside of school? Nowhere! BUT, you can learn something from them, with different outcomes varying according to what you put into it.

If you choose to write it you have few options; these options have consequences:
    a) Give the prof what they want. Be very passive in your thinking: you know what the prof wants, put it on paper.
    b) Be a little bit of a slacker and not do the proper readings and work to "properly" write the essay; pull things from an assortment of sources to amalgamate into a new perspective (because you didn't do the proper, expected course of work to see A + B + C = D, you went A + H + M = R and you get a new perspective)
    c) actually cognate about it for a long while and write a paper that reflects your critical thinking, which incorporated the lecture's insights, etc.

Outcomes:
    a) teaches you to be a straight-up "yes-man." What is more valuable to your success in a bureaucratic society?
    b) The most benefit for your effort. ROI-efficient. Great skill to learn.
    c) You become a person who has grown; "A mind once expanded by a new idea never retains its previous dimensions."

Basically, writing papers teaches you to work the bureaucratic system. Extraordinarily important skill. (Seriously.) Can you learn this working your way up the ladder at McDonalds? Yes. But does McDonalds management come with the snobby prestige that people want when they're hiring someone to work in their bureaucratic business?

/external rewards.

It also gives you internal rewards, which is what most liberal arts majors see. But the ST probably wanted external and measurable rewards.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by hermeticdancer View Post
    Writing isn't a skill. It's a discipline.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP

You could ask your friend how well he thinks anything could be achieved if none of us could read or communicate our ideas effectively. Seems like that's the basis of all human achievement to me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Writing isn't a skill. It's a discipline.
    Yes and no?

Writing is a skill. Not everyone can be fantastic at it. Some people lack the ability to draw in a reader, no matter how much they try. Voice in writing is everything, it's what personifies a piece of literature, and if someone has not found their voice, it doesn't matter how much 'discipline' they have had, it just won't be interesting.

What does take discipline is the perseverance of keeping oneself motivated to write despite the downfalls a writer is bound to come across, especially in freelance work.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by StoryOfMyLife View Post
    Voice in writing is everything, it's what personifies a piece of literature, and if someone has not found their voice, it doesn't matter how much 'discipline' they have had, it just won't be interesting.
    My English teacher always talks about this, too: We have to find our "voice" and not just use others'. Come on, I don't know what my voice is! More to it than meets the eye.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    My English teacher always talks about this, too: We have to find our "voice" and not just use others'. Come on, I don't know what my voice is! More to it than meets the eye.
    Aw *lol* You wouldn't be alone in not knowing what your voice is. Not everyone can or will find it, but it doesn't happen overnight. It's a lot of hard work. You might find that you have more than one voice- that you're capable of so many different kinds of storytelling [I've discovered this about myself-- depending on what the tale calls for, I can change my voice on a dime]. What it takes is just taking something and making it your own. We have influences by our favorite authors, but if you are a..careful reader, you can tell they each have their own unique way of story-telling. Even journalists do this-- some are candid, some are brutal, some are impeccably witty...and within those groups, there are individual voices..those who stand out among the rest.

It just takes practice If it's something you want you'll find it. Hey, you might even stumble across it quite by accident. I think it happens when...what you are writing suddenly comes so easily to you, when words just flow magically from your pen like water over a cliff...it's an epiphany.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I hate when people criticize others for their choices of major on the basis of career utility. I mean, by that logic, we could well justify the termination of every college of arts, sciences and letters in the country.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I hate when people criticize others for their choices of major on the basis of career utility. I mean, by that logic, we could well justify the termination of every college of arts, sciences and letters in the country.
    Very good point. Although I wonder sometimes if that isn't where our politicians are trying to take things, with what they're dictating for k-12 schools...
    edcoaching